Sunday, September 26, 2010

Creamy Wild Rice and Turkey Casserole

6 Cups cooked Wild Rice ( I use 1/2 a bag, then you can use it twice and it is more saucy)
1 (about 10-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (8-oz.) sour cream
1 stick butter (I use real butter, but only 1/2 stick)
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 cups cooked turkey, diced (I use chicken breasts, diced)

Prepare the wild rice (it takes about an hour or more to cook). Meanwhile, combine the soup with the sour cream, stirring to blend well. Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the celery, onion, and mushrooms just until vegetables are slightly limp. Stir in the salt and pepper, sour cream-soup mixture, wild rice and turkey or chicken. Spoon into a lightly greased, shallow 3 qt. casserole. Bake, covered at 350 degrees about 45 minutes, then uncover and bake another 15 minutes, to lightly brown top of casserole. (Everything is already cooked when you put it in the oven so I only cook it an additional 1/2 hour). I got this recipe from one of my co-workers.

I talked to Pat earlier and I was cooking my wild rice and she was talking about how much Woody likes wild rice, so I thought I would post this recipe. My family likes this a lot and it seems like something everybody else would enjoy also. And yes I even eat the mushrooms. I think that it was meant to be made after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey, but chicken works really well. Mine is in the oven and I'm very excited to eat it. We haven't had it for a while. Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

The Fyllings said...

yum!

Pat said...

Sounds yummy - and here I ordered the wild rice soup mix from Allie's fund raiser - - how many will you casserole feed?